AltarThe pueblo of Altar, Sonora
Altar, Sonora is a small pueblo located on Mexico highway 2, about a 20-minute drive east of Caborca.
The area where the town sits was originally inhabited by the Pima Alto Indians, and was founded in 1775 as a military fort. The pueblo was originally known as Santa Gertrudis del Altar, and its name was later changed to Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe del Altar.
The pueblo of Altar has 8,500 inhabitants, and is known as a staging point for immigrants who gather near the town plaza to take vans northward to cross into the United States. In addition to the town of Altar there are three “ejidos,” or cooperatively owned and operated ranches – Ejido 16 de Septiembre, Ejido Santa Matilde, and Ejido Llano Blanco.
Virtually all of the town’s possible stopping points of interest are along the highway as it goes through town – the church and plaza, convenience stores, motels, and the local supermarket.
In addition to being a stop on the way to Caborca, Altar is also a begin/end point for the Ruta de las Misiones (Route of the Mission Churches), which extends between Caborca and Magdalena.